Monday, August 15, 2016

Project: Warden in White: Part 2 - Preliminary Painting


 
For this, I used Army Painter black spray primer. Work on my Warden in White continues. First step was priming it. One little trick I like for priming models that I'm going to assemble later is this. I mask off contact points with sticky-tack so that I can use plastic glue for later assembly. In the photo below, I've masked the ball at the top of the arm as well as the pegs that the shin plates will attach to and the spots where the banner will connect.


Once the model is fully primed, it's time to start painting. I coated all the exposed metal with silver acrylic paint. I find that metallic acrylics show up better over black than they do over any other color of primer, so bear that in mind. 

The Wardens are dreadnoughts of the Deathwing, so I painted him in the same way they're intended to be painted. The "official" base layer is Citadel Zandri Dust, but I find Apple Barrell's Territorial Beige makes an excellent stand-in. I use an old bottle of Folk Art Cardinal Red for gun casings and anything else that calls for Citadel Khorne Red (I've still got plenty of this paint, so I haven't actually figured out what the best Apple Barrell equivalent is). Next, I painted the Deathwing Company Banner (Apple Barrel Red Apple, Holly Green, Antique Parchment, Territorial Beige, Black, Grey, Gold, Snow White, and Bright Yellow). Then I went over all the Beige plates with Citadel Ushabti Bone (one of only a few Citadel paints I own, which I got specifically for another project).

Below are pictures of the model in various states (No idea why the middle one is sideways). Next is more detail-work, washing, highlighting, and basing. Stay tuned! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment